Book Review - The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.


I admit at first I was skeptical. The novel itself had been recommended to me time and time again by my dear friend A, who enthusiastically purchased me my very own copy for my birthday, and when I picked it up the other day I wasn't so sure what I'd be in for.

But what I found was macabrely delightful - I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially with its content. It was many things - a eerie vision of the future, a science fiction, young adult book and a romance, but that's not even where it ends.

The story follows 16-year old Katniss Everdeen who enters a grisly annual known as the Hunger Games, sponsered by the Capitol, the governmental front in a post-apocalyptic North America. The Hunger Games are filled with 24 'tributes' between 12 and 18 conscripted from each of the 12 districts surrounding the Capitol, one boy and one girl from each. Then, after a week or so's worth of training, interviews and fattening up the 24 tributes battle it out in the arena - to the death.

Now, off the top of my head I haven't read too many books that have been filled with death to this calibre, but this was amazing. I really enjoyed all of it - the geurilla tactics, the survival issues and even the Survivor-style alliances and betrayals. Ms Collins writes so well the story comes alive on the page, and the romantic naivety of the protagonist is heartening if a little sad - the relationship between her and Peeta, her fellow tribute, is one I ended to see through.

So, for those in want of a different, light read I would recommend this book - even if it's not immediately your thing.

Comments

  1. Damn straight I did :D... well I could think of nothing you needed more :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts