Morocco

What can I say about this magical place that left me in awe and oh so sad to leave?




Well, the experience is definitely different for everyone and I just happened to be one of the luckier ones that loved the place. From the moment I made it into the organised chaos of the old town medina in Marrakech it was an odd love at first sight even when I managed to get pretty lost trying to find my accommodation. But that's the wonderful thing about where I chose to stay, and I'll name it this one because I very much recommend it, at the Hostel Riad Marrakech Rouge. When I finally made it, helped along by some fellow tourists, I was immediately sat down and handed a full teapot and a plate of biscuits. Since it was so hot outside, and I was more than a little flustered from the plane and the gauntlet through the medina, some mint tea was so needed you have no idea. Ultimately, that set the scene for the entirety of the time that I spent in Morocco – everyone was helpful (obviously some more than others), kind and happy to tell me all about their country. I learnt a lot about Moroccan and Berber cultures, partook in local customs and met some of the best people you could imagine from Australians, to Canadians, English, Peruvian, Brazilian, and that doesn't even brush the surface. I bustled through the souks and bargained for prices, rode a camel into the red sands of the Sahara desert, camped out under the stars, climbed a sand dune over 150m high, chilled out amongst some brightly coloured and lavish pillows, ate tajines and kebabs in the night markets, and most importantly I drank so much mint tea I would have done the mint industry proud.

I definitely enjoyed everything about my time in Morocco and found that all the horror stories I'd heard about the place were either exaggerated or I just sailed too far under the radar that they didn't affect me. I dressed appropriately, didn't wander around on my own (even though that normally wouldn't be a problem), and didn't take any notice of negative attention. Plus it was kind of fun to not give much of a damn about my hair or makeup for a week, since it was so damn hot anyway, and even more exciting to were some funky Aladdin pants – just like the street rat himself. And in case you're wondering, yes, I definitely sang Arabian Nights riding along on the camel, I dueted with a friend to A Whole New World and I totally hummed Prince Ali walking through the market places by the palace.

Being in Marrakech was kind of like a dream, and so I fully recommend it to anyone who'd keen to check out a mixture of the old Arabian world and a new kind of exotic French desert. If you're into tea: you'll love it. If you like shisha: you'll love it. If you're into camels, bargaining, adventure holidays or even the kind when you can laze around amidst pillows or by the beach then you'll love it, too. But what I'm trying to say is even if Morocco has some aspects of its reputation that means it might sound a bit scary to the wary traveller, and I know this as a woman travelling alone, give it a chance to change your mind. If you don't like it then you can leave, just don't miss out on the chance of seeing this amazing place because you've heard some stories. After all – who would ever go anywhere in the world if that was the case?

If you do get to Marrakech, then be sure to check out the Riad Marrakech Rouge in the old Medina; Ali and the gang will take good care of you for sure. Just tell them Samara sent you – they'll go straight for the kettle.

Sam xox

Comments

Popular Posts