The Rainbow Connection

I have often wasted many hours just wishing that the love I write, read and dream about is never coming in my direction - at least not anytime soon.

And, well, that's just not true. It has been brought to my attention more than once and most recently the other night that not only am I just as worthy and just as awesome as other girls but I have a star shinning on me too, that one day will show me the way.

Although love is an intangible and ever-changing idea I find that in times of hardship when I often lose sight of my star and wonder if it will ever come, that there are always songs and stories to catch me falling and bring me back. No matter the circumstance love will always be around in one form or another, and I just have to believe that when it is my turn I will know. Until then I have every right and intention to be just myself, the way I am and the way I want to be. And that doesn't include feeling second best or being treated like it.

I won't be your shadow.

So, why are there so many songs about rainbows? I am a lover and I am a dreamer, and the Rainbow Connection is most certainly one song that raises the hope in my heart about the world we cannot see, the things we do not know and the love we want to share. It is about keeping on and believing even when times are hard because someday we'll understand. It's not even just about love or hope, it's about the entire chain of being that flits around when we're half asleep or in our dreams. Loved ones we don't see or friends that have passed. It's not about religion or about death but it considers both, it's not about wishing on a star or about a dream. It's about all of these things.

So, why are there so many songs about rainbows? The truth is I don't really know, maybe because a rainbow is both beautiful, mysterious and it gives hope. Just like love.

And so, like Kermit, I will believe in rainbows; I will sing about them and wait to learn what's on the other side. There always is one.

Why are there so many songs about rainbows
and what's on the other side?
Rainbows are visions, but only illusions,
and rainbows have nothing to hide.
So we've been told and some choose to believe it.
I know they're wrong, wait and see.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers and me.

Who said that every wish would be heard
and answered when wished on the morning star?
Somebody thought of that and someone believed it.
Look what it's done so far.
What's so amazing that keeps us star gazing
and what do we think we might see?
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers and me.

All of us under its spell. We know that it's probably magic.

Have you been half asleep and have you heard voices?
I've heard them calling my name.
Is this the sweet sound that called the young sailors.
The voice might be one and the same.
I've heard it too many times to ignore it.
It's something that I'm supposed to be.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers and me. 


Comments

Popular Posts