The Meaning of Life

I don't subscribe to the theory that we are supposed to sacrifice and abstain in life in order to live ever after in the Elysian Fields, or rather Heaven.

I'm not religious, with all due respect to those who are, and I think that the afterlife is so uncertain and unclear that life is too short to waste time putting things off for after you die. If you don't know for sure that you're going to live in Nirvana when all is said and done, why not just enjoy things now? At the risk of running into a religious debate let me just say that I'm not attempting to question anyone's faith, or what the afterlife is really like, but I'm just of the mind myself to enjoy the opportunities that my family has worked to give me when I don't know what will happen later. Carpe Diem and all that.

Of course, but also to work hard so that the opportunities later transfer to my future dynasty aswell. 

I'm an archaeologist, whether you decide that makes me a scientist or not, and so from the evidence of evolution I believe that organised religion is a human construct. Now, don't burn me at the stake just yet, let me explain: humanity has always, at least as far back as we can trace (including some interpretations of palaeolithic - Stone Age - cave and mobile art), needed to believe in something other. You know, something either intangible, impossible or unlikely. Don't ask me why, this is only the beginning of an investigation so I'm not yet privy to the answer. 

Atheism is a newer construct, believing in nothing is only acceptable in recent years although has probably been around for a lot longer - clearly kept secret on pain of death. Unfortunately, like homosexuality. Every major religion considers itself to be the 'right' or 'true' way and when you throw these all together they cover the globe, particularly in the Middle Ages there was no way you'd get by without joining one. Sometimes by force. Atheism is therefore a much more recent response to this, and now it's not only ok to denounce faith but in some cases people think it's cool. 

I'm not religious, nor am I an Athiest; I'm agnostic, so that means I do believe - just not in an organised religion. I'm not going to hash out all my ideas and beliefs here, but rest assured that I've had a life time (so far) to search myself and the world to answer my own questions. There's only like 200 bazillion left to go.

Anyway, the point wasn't about my ideas, only that everyone ascribes different meanings to life and that historically people generally need to believe in something. Belief and religion are not necessarily the same thing. Belief can cover both a spirituality (i.e afterlife, gods etc) and expectation (I.e morality). By saying everyone needs to believe somehow can be anything from believing the world is on the back of a giant turtle to believing a smile will make you someone's day. You see where I'm going with this? 

Swinging back to the afterlife, the majority of people these days believe in whatever shape or form that there probably is one, and for the ones that don't are much more likely to pursue the things they want more readily. For example, when you don't believe anything happens to you after you die then what's to stop you from trying everything that would be considered 'sinful' or 'immoral' in certain circles. And I'm not talking beastiality or murder, rather chocolate, pre-marital sex and skipping church on Sundays. Life is short, whether you believe we live on or not, and when you consider that hundreds of millions of people worldwide are probably worse off than you, why shouldn't you enjoy the opportunities and freedom that our parents and grandparents have worked so hard to give us? What's the point in always putting dreams, adventure or goals off far into the future when you never know how long you have left?

My parents and grandparents, as I've said before, did not come from wealth. They worked hard for years to give my brother, cousins and I the opportunities and freedom that we now have (let alone all the human rights, women's rights and international relations along with it), but I've worked hard too; I went to university, earned my degree and worked for a few years. Unforeseen circumstances caused me to leave before I was ready, but the bright side means I have the opportunity to now go travelling for an extended period like I've always wanted - I'm an avid adventurer, so sue me. This is an opportunity I'm grateful for and since I think that life is too short I'm taking it because I did genuinely work for it. 

I don't know if I believe I'm going to paradise when, whenever it may be, I die, but I do know that when my time is up I won't have squandered it - at least not all of it. Life is short, and even if I make it into grey hair and false teeth I don't want to look back on the opportunities I inexplicably didn't take. I'm a lot of things, but abstinence queen is not one of them. 

So if you didn't get where that waffle was going, here's the rub: for me, the meaning of life is to enjoy it and the opportunities that you and your for-bearers worked hard to give you. Missing out in favour of waiting, not taking risks or because you're saving it for the afterlife seems sad and may only leave you in disappointment if you're not lucky. By all means continue to work hard - your children with thank you some day - but don't let it be a choice between what you want and what is expected of you all the time. 

Remember: not every one gets the opportunities that we do. Don't waste them, you'll only have yourself to blame. 

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." 

Sam xox 

Comments

Popular Posts