NaNo 2014 begins

Now that another awesome Halloween is completed, today is now the beginning of NaNoWriMo. Somewhat of a festive season in it's own.



For those of you not in the know, National Novel Writing Month, or NaNo as it is affectionately called, is that crazy month of the year when you push to the limits to produce 50,000 words of text over the month of November. It can be whatever you want to write about, but usually fiction or poetry, although I shudder at the thought of 50,000 words of poetry. 

You start on the 1st of November, as early as midnight and you have all the way up until the clock strikes midnight again on the 30th to complete and validate on the website. And whilst you don't technically win per se when you complete, you do get a lovely certificate and all the feels that go with it. It's pretty great actually and I love the pleasure/pain of the whole situation. 

2014 is my 6th year in a row that I will be entering NaNo since my first time in 2009. Of the past 6 years there was only one I did not complete, 2011, and considering it crept in just after my thesis I really just shot my drive. But I still don't like to remember that I failed. 

Last year was my greatest NaNo achievement. I completed 10 days early, the last 9,000 in the space of about 24 hours. And that was on top of about 12 books I'd read that month plus an average 12km walk through the bush every day for work. It was a very hardcore month and I don't know how I did it. But I am very, very proud of it. 

So bring on NaNo 2014. It's Allora and Dominic's turn to be written after 10 years of planning. 

Sam xox

Comments

Popular Posts