One Year in Sydney

I remember what happened a year ago yesterday almost like it was yesterday.

Well, not really I only remember the night and that it was my last night living in Perth. My bags were packed, I said my farewells and I was spending my very last night in my old bed.

A year ago today was the beginning of an amazing new adventure as I boarded the plane, left my teary parents behind, and set off in pursuit of an entirely new life.

The decision to move to Sydney had come to me months earlier in July when I had started to become depressed in my current situation and my best friend had been called to office on the East Coast already. The will was there before the means and everything from that point was a twist of fate leading me in the right direction.

I've spoken about this before so I won't rehash it all, but in the year that followed from that moment boarding the plane to today I have seen and experienced so much that I have well and truly become a different person. I have met new people, tried new things, been new places, and had one of the most varied, colourful and unpredictable years of my entire life.

In the spirit of celebrating my amazing one year anniversary, let's have a look at the top twelve (one for every month) moments, experiences and events of my first year in the big city:

1. I started a brand new job. 


Starting a new job as you'll all know can be scary at first but also exciting. Depending on what you move from to begin it can even be anything from a change of pace to a different field or discipline and just ripe with more to learn and new experiences. Any new skill in life you learn will add to who you are and what you bring to the table so starting this new job has not only provided me with a different view of the world I hadn't had before but also new approaches to both management, support and customer service. And, what do you know, I'm pretty good at it!


2. I got to learn what it is like to permanently live out of home. 


Considering that this year I turned 26 this seems like a strange one to have in my top twelve. However as I come from a generation that does actually spend longer at home before moving on due to a lot of different variables I am going to include it. Before my move to the big city I had spent two weeks of every month living on a Pilbara mining camp, 6 months of a year living out of hostels in La Vie Europe, I managed an entire travel shop and the majority of my travels were solo - so I was hardly without independence.

This was still different, however, and the past year has seen me not only getting used to a lot of things but doing my best (more so on some days than others) to be more mindful of my home life so that I don't irritate the hell out of my flatmate (turned close friend). It as been a learning curve for me in some areas more so than others but it has also brought a huger aspect of freedom and independence in a totally different way than before. For example living out of home and 4000 km from my parents has sort of activated my dating life in a sense, has improved my ability to cook and bake, has amped up my need to eat healthily and sees me out most evenings after work either socially or in some form of exercise. I don't spend as much time watching TV on the couch and drinking tea as I used to - I miss it sometimes and so I do it, but I don't feel like life is passing me by quite so much any more.

Though I could write an entire post about what it has been like to live out of home in the big city but for today I won't, though suffice it to say that my flatmate and I, and our past third member, have had some amazing times, some totally crazy times, and some awkward times. I might do a top ten list of crazy, awkward or awesome housemate moments in the near future.

3. I drank a lot of wine. 



The benefits of moving in with a vino enthusiast is rather limitless especially since we tend to have our shelves stocked with appropriate bottles of not only wine but spirits, too. We frequently have events, create events or have drinks for the hell of it. Some of our craziest moments have involved red wine and venturing rather spontaneously out into the suburb for night time adventures. We have stolen Christmas trees, gone for classy nights, baked, ordered midnight pizza, bathed together and seen the sunrise under the influence and each occasion has been a fabulous story for the future.

Not to mention that more than one of my new friends have joined the party.

4. I played the not-so tourist. 


Even from the day after I arrived in the big city I have been known to go on explorations and adventures, often to places the locals don't seem too exciting at all. No offence to the New South Welsh, but most things here are new to me and one of the things I love is to get it there and see those. 

I have been on cruises, taken ferries or trains to unfamiliar territory, toured into the Blue Mountains and walked along the rocky beach inlets of the coast line. On the cultural side, I've been to museums, on historical tours, ghost tours, and to virtually every festival or free event that I could. The Sydney sights that are oh-so regular to the commuters were brand new to me such as the harbour bridge, Luna Park, Taronga, the Rocks and the Opera House have been taken over by my desire and thirst for soaking in the atmosphere of this new Wonderland. 

But since this was my home now I wouldn't consider myself a tourist - I was just new.

5. I finally enjoyed Australia Day. 


Before I lived in the big city, virtually the heart (at least in Colonial terms) of modern Australia, I used to hate our national holiday. Where I can from and from what I observed on the news it was nothing but a big booze up in which racially driven fights broke out every year and the less intelligent prejudiced would comment on immigration. White Australian pride always seemed to ruin my day and there was actively nothing about it that I really supported or enjoyed about it anymore. 

But this year, even sick, I got to really enjoy the proud, multicultural and fun side of the holiday. There were drinks, sure, it was hot - definitely - and being ill I wanted to die by the end of the day but it was so different to everything that had come before it. Instead of a cloudy blow up pool there was ferry races in the harbour. Instead of casual racism there was multicultural inclusion. Instead of angry there was fun. There was croquet, a photo booth, and so much more that I had a fantastic day. For the first time I didn't hate Australia Day after all and I was actually proud to be a part of it.

6. I nipped up and down the East Coast. 

Perhaps one of the sillier things I was most excited about in moving to the East Coast (you could say back to the East Coast as I do technically come from Tasmania) was the close proximity to Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and Tasmania where I have family and friends. There's also something to be said about being suddenly in the epicentre of Australiana whereas back in Perth everything seemed like it was happening so far away and when people though of Australia it was a culture not necessarily your own. You'd be surprised just how different Western Australia is to the rest of the country. 

So being able to travel only a short distance to these other places really kind of left me giddy. And although I have only travelled to Melbourne and Tasmania so far in the year that I have been here the option is truly there for the future. I've certainly got some fun that I should definitely keep having.

7. I went on dates and met new men. 

One of my New Year's Resolutions this year was to finally meet someone nice and I suppose in a sense I have met that requirement in that I have met lots of nice people and that includes nice guys. Not all the men I've dated this year or want to have dated have been nice, but they're out there.

I have met men all over the world and somehow I never felt quite so apart of it or noticeable until this year. I used to be this much more boring, wishful, hopeless romantic who barely got a date and had much less fun than I do now. Moving really changed that and in the past year I've had flirtation-ships, teeny relationships and - let's just say - other sorts of adventures as well. I've met great guys and I've met awful guys but the biggest thing to take away from it is that there's fun out there to be had. Also, well, hey being single is kind of awesome when the alternative is settling someone less than the kind of amazing that makes me want to break into song. 

There have been musical moments this year in more ways than one and although I've not met anyone to last I am hopeful and positive (on good days) that I'll either surely find one or I won't really care. I'm sort of enjoying this freedom without putting too much heart into it.

8. I started pole dancing. 

 

Yes, you read that right! 

Something I'd sort of always thought I would try someday came around via a new friend and now I'm hooked. The work outs are fun and new, the people are great and the adrenaline that pumps through my veins as a result really revs my engine. Some of the most fun I've had in recent months has been at pole classes or social events. 

Don't get me wrong but it does hurt like hell and I am far from being a pro, but I love it. It's healthy in more ways than one and I genuinely look forward to my time. I suggest trying it if you never have because you could be keen like me.

9. I ate a cricket. 

 
Let's not dwell on this one because it was so gross I never want to do it again even if it was an experience. In context on my recent trip to Cambodia I was offered crickets at dinner with a local community and despite being resistant I was challenged. I'd refused the tarantulas and scorpions days earlier so my tour mates figured I needed to eat something strange to me that trip. Don't recommend crickets, but I do dare you to try them if you're game.

10. I developed new traditions. 


This list is so brief that I can't relay everything or even all my new traditions but some major ones that has been modified is baking my own ham at Christmas, using different candles for different occasions, soaking in different bath salts for different healing purposes. 

It's only been a year and so traditionsnare still being built but I hope running down the street dressed as the White Rabbit at Easter or with a Christmas tree like the Grinch is one we get to repeat again. 

Here's to forming even more new traditions.

11. I went on an IKEA spree. 



Two days after arriving in Sydney I moved into my house and went on an epic IKEA shopping spree for furniture and the works. It was everything I'd ever dreamt of until I got home, the flat packs were delivered and I spent a solid two days assembling them all. Mostly alone. Buying the furniture? Dream come true, added all items to cart. Constructing my entire bedroom with an Allen key, wooden pegs and picture instructions? Nightmare. 

I don't need a man for much but constructing all my furniture would have been a good occasion for one. That in might I do however have the knowledge when I look at my bedroom that I did sort of make it all myself. 

Which is why some parts are not quite right.

12. I closed the door on things best left behind. 

 This never had to be a New Year's Resolution as we always talk about moving on from the bad things that we can't change, but as I mentioned I have changed a lot and left a lot behind this past twelve months. 

For example not all my friendships have survived the transition (only the weak ones tapered) though the majority have and proved how strong they are even with distance. There were friends I had that were unsustainable in one way or another and despite whether their loss was upsetting at the time or not they are best left behind. 

In another way of thinking aspects of my personality have suffered the same fate. I haven't changed enough that you wouldn't know me anymore or that I'd have lost the spark of what made me me, but my outlook is different and that old rose-coloured view of the world is not as applicable as before. That's not a bad thing - especially when you consider my view on ideologies such as romance have erred from Disney-fied to a more realistic approach. I've sort of been disenchanted and I digress that it is not a bad thing all the time. In order to grow and grow up a part of that Disney persona had to be left behind or continuing to survive in the modern would would not have worked so well. 

There have been other things I've left behind, other men as well, but we don't need to really talk about that when I have already in the past on more than one occasion. But leaving things behind, closing the door on things that don't help you or that actually encumber you is a healthy way to live. People say to forgive and forget, or to be the bigger person, but I don't think that's always the best option. If sometime hurts you and you have a choice to leave it behind? Consider it - it might be worth doing for your own sake. 

-

It's been a crazy year and I could go on and on about things that have happened, people I've met and things I've done that this year in my life could effectively be a book. Or a television series. Or a two-part movie. There is simply too much to say.

I will however leave you with this:

Some of the best moments of my life have occurred this year and some of the best people I have met have been here. My only regrets are from things that I didn't do and at the end of the day I am so proud to have done what I have in my own way. No one controlled me (those that tried got their butts handed to them, trust me) and I was so supported in everything I did that I only hope that the next twelve months bring just as much. 

So cheers to the future!



Sam xox

Comments

Popular Posts