MAFS 2019

I've never done a recap or review like this before, not my usual style, but since I've been watching the train wreck that is Married at First Sight (or MAFS) anyway I figured I may as well. I missed it last year and I feel like I missed out on all the hilarity.

I've been feeling a little flat this week too and, despite still doing all the right things (lost over 10kg now and went on an actual date that went pretty well) this is something else that might be fun to do.

Side Note: My post about my heart break was something that was really hard, but really important for me to do to be able to move on and get all the destructive thoughts out of my head. It has been extremely hard and I've been bending over backwards to be strong about it, but my post was not intended to trash, hurt or defame anyone (particularly my ex - I don't hate him, I'm just really hurt). Writing is an outlet for me and you can find my blog on Google, its been going for 9 years now and its never been a secret. Some of the things I said have been cleared up now and some things I was wrong about - I admit that I was wrong, but not that I was hurt. I never lied about anything, I just misunderstood. But I don't deserve hate for being hurt and trying to come to terms with how I feel in the wake of my shattered heart.

So let's talk about MAFS but just know that I'm not here to trash anyone or be genuinely unkind, that's not my style despite what anyone thinks because if I feel that's what I've done then I lose sleep over it, plus you have to hand it to all the contestants for having the balls to get on national telly this way in the first place. Sure some may be doing it for the fame and awkward glory, but you still have to hand it to them for putting themselves up for all the embarrassment, ridicule and heartache that comes with it.

A friend of mine once suggested I get on that show First Dates, which I also love to watch, but I couldn't even imagine being on it. I couldn't handle the scrutiny by people that don't know me and what they'd say about me - I have enough insecurity issues, thanks. Plus already tried it and it kind of sucked.

Anyway, let's take a look that the first week of MAFS 2019!


Monday

On Monday we had the first two couples:

Jules & Cameron

Related image

Everything about these two was kind of just fine, sort of sweet, but mostly fine. Jules has some amazing hair and a great business going (that I'm definitely going to go find) but to tell you the truth I've already forgotten everything about Cameron since Monday.

He's pretty handsome, seems like a decent guy, and genuinely seems pretty keen on Jules. Good for them.

Nic & Cyrell

Image result for married at first sight 2019 nic & cyrell

Ah, ok. Just...no.

I mean Nic seems really great. He's been through some shit already - testicular cancer - and he's bounced back like a champ. He definitely seems like the kind of guy you want to be lucky enough to meet out in the wild.

But Cyrell? Hooboy. No. Nope.

I'm sure there's some bad editing happening here but she seems super annoying. It could be cultural, nothing against the Philo - they're great people and they make great food. But her voice, her demeanour and her brother did my head in.

Honestly, she seems nice enough, no tea no shade, but no.

Her brother on the other hand went and confronted a cancer survivor on camera like a complete idiot. Producer intervention here? If so, that poor bastard. If not, you total wanker.

Watch UnReal - its all about the editing and manipulation behind the scenes of reality TV. Take all the drama with a grain of salt, hence I'm giving this dude the benefit of the doubt. He's already put his foot in it anyway.

Tuesday

Melissa & Dino

Image result for married at first sight 2019 melissa & Dino

Dino seems super nice. The super nice that suggests maybe he's recovering from some serious drug addiction and he's high on life now that he's clean. I've met people like that before and sometimes they really are just that nice - maybe he is just that nice. He's spiritual, into meditation and mindfulness and the like. I mean its not my thing - its definitely a defining aspect of the persona he's portraying on the telly so far and its boring, but at least he seems nice.

Melissa on the other hand is kind of a mess. She seems a little crazy, a little nuts, a little dim, but generally a Bridget Jones sort of singleton that I can get behind. She literally slept in on her wedding day, left two hours late, had a meltdown on the free way and started opening her suitcase on the side of the off-ramp and took no shit from the makeup artist when they told her she was now going to have to rush. Plus there was her whole Mr Bean-esque exit from the garage of her apartment building because she got trapped in the basement.

I sat there watching on my phone wondering what in the hell was going on, and it was kind of refreshing.

I mean, most of the women are gorgeous on this show and always seem to be pretty composed. That's not real life - this pretty ditz is real life and I'm here for it. It makes me feel like less of a mess.

Jessika & Mick

Image result for married at first sight 2019 jessika & mick

First question - did Jess have some kind of cosmetic surgery? No issue if she did, but I just want to know. Love her dress - very different, and got to love how genuinely chuffed she seems to see Mick when he's not her usual type. Its sweet to see her so open to meeting someone and putting faith in the experiment. Also kudos to her for not decking the best man for his completely inappropriate speech.

I really hope that was all him and not some intervention by the producers because holy hell can this dude not read a room. Its so much more satisfying thinking that this knob sincerely thought that that would be a great wedding speech. Jesus Christ.

Seriously kudos to Jess - I would have been so out of there and beyond mortified. The thought of my Mum and Dad hearing some crazy sex story of mine or my partner's makes me want to die a little bit inside. You know, if had a partner.

And Mick...look he seems nice. Not for me.

And then we also have to mention this guy:

Image result for married at first sight 2019 jessika & mick

I'm pretty sure he escaped from the set of Days of Our Lives or something. He's a babe for sure, but he's kind of scary too like he will definitely beat your ass up. His protectiveness towards his sister is somewhere between a mobster and uncomfortable brotherly interest. My brother is younger than me but the thought of him acting like such a pork chop towards any romantic interest of mine is pretty laughable. There's their dad too though who seems to think being a retired boxer gives him a license to threaten people?

But then I guess people are thirsting over Ted Bundy (the real one as well as Zac Efron playing him) this week so the 'bad boy' attraction will never die.

Slap this one on the cover of a supernatural romance and you're good to go!

Which brings us to today...

Wednesday

Mike & Heidi

Image result for married at first sight 2019 mike & heidi

HEIDI'S HAIR! I love that mane of hers, its incredible. She must be a mermaid in disguise. Also nice tip about wrapping your toes before wearing heels, but maybe someone should have told her it was a beach wedding.

Such a shame for Mike though to have been leaving a trail of broken hearts behind him, particularly amongst women half his age. However are we going to go on now that he's technically off the market? PUH-LEASE. I hope the producers told him to say that.

Ning & Mark 

Image result for married at first sight 2019 ning & mark

Was it a pre-req this season to be a man with the name 'Michael', or at least that starts with an 'M'?

Mark seems lovely. It must have been hard to have never had any serious relationships by his age and incredibly brave - even for a military man - to have put himself out there like this. It couldn't have been easy for him. I kind of wish he got someone a little nicer to him.

But Ning? Look, the advertising really hasn't done her any justice so hopefully she'll get better as the show goes on. I'm thinking maybe she could actually deal with some real therapy though because she seems like she's genuinely been traumatised by something.

This show definitely brings back that hope that maybe one day someone will actually want to marry me and I'll get to wear some pretty dress for the occasion. Doesn't hurt to dream.

Check back in next time for the Virgin, the Sam and the Crazy Eyes.

Sam xox



Comments

Popular Posts