Shrek: the Musical!

At the end of 2012 I discovered that everyone's favourite loveable green ogre had been adapted to Broadway (a few years earlier, but still). And so, realising the production had made it to London where I'd soon be heading myself, I decided to check it out.

And loved it.

If you're a fan of the movie franchise or just musicals in general, then I garuntee that you will love this show just like I did. It's funny, naughty, romantic and touching with a score of catchy songs and wonderful performances that will surely make your evening.

The show expands on the effects Fiona's imprisonment has on her mental health, Shrek's back story and gives the fairytale characters a real chance to shine through that the films don't and all whilst busting out into song. With some of my favourite scores encapsulating some pretty comedic and heart-wrenching moments, you can probably tell that this was one show I was more than eager (ogre?) to take on. And when I finally made it to the West End performance I was not disappointed - except for that some of the songs, including two of my favourites Don't Let Me Go and Build a Wall, had been omitted and the show virtually redirected. But that aside, the West End production had me laughing my head off and crying like the biggest sap in the front row into my packet of Percy Pigs.

But since that was over a year and a bit ago, why do I mention it?

Well, whilst trolling through YouTube watching bloopers from The Tudors, I discovered something amazing: a few weeks ago somebody put the entirety of the professionally filmed version of the show with the original Broadway cast onto the site. As if I was seriously going to miss an opportunity to watch the uncut version of the show the way it was originally performed with all my favourite songs put back in, right? Hence why at almost 1am I am buckling down to watch a musical.

You can find the show here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmmZ_URZPEE

I'll leave it to you to decide whether you want to watch it or not, but I do recommend it. Though keep in mind it's not meant to be serious - just a bit of fancy free frivolity and humour with some romance and a couple really deep moments. Bryan Darcy James and Sutton Foster will make you both laugh and cry as Shrek and Fiona, and Christopher Sieber steals the show with his bawdy Lord Faarquad. So if you've got a few hours and you're in for a little bit of fun, give it a go.

You can also use the link to get you to an interesting new lead called Twisted: The Untold Tale of A Royal Vizier - but I'll get to that one later.

Stay Tuned.

Sam xox

Comments

Popular Posts