The Author

There's something to be said about envy. We've all felt it in varying shades and to varying degrees, but it is one of the original sins.

Not to say that I condemn it, because I feel it all the time particularly when I talk to people who've travelled more than me. But I suppose you could say that at one level, envy is the topic of conversation today.

I want to be an author - I have for so long, and so badly, that watching an online Q&A featuring one of my favourite authors makes me feel suddenly restless. Listening to her speak about how she writes makes me torn; I can't decide whether I'm more envious or more inspired to crack back down to work when I haven't lifted a finger to my work since the end of NaNo last year. It seems super lazy, but when you factor in being away for 5 weeks and Christmas craziness before that, it's really not as bad as it seems. Though it is still kind of bad, and I feel bad just like I should.


So on the one hand I'm very envious. Sherrilyn Kenyon is a fantastic author - in the past 15 years she's pumped out almost 50 books and very firmly entrenched herself into pop culture, history and my own life. Her work has helped to catalyst the solidification of some of my friendships and her stories have born ideas for adventures that I have both already taken and still planned for the future. I never would have made it to New Orleans without her and her all-too-amazing Dark Hunter series that I recommend you check out if you haven't before.

But I have to still say I am envious, and depending it may or may not be for the reason that you think. It's not the money, for one thing - though you can definitely say that by now Sherri is successful. It's not the best-seller list she practically lives at, or even the movie and television show deals she's landed. Though I'd be lying if I didn't admit I think all those things are really cool. No; It's the fan girl that she is.

For all the fan girls that Sherri does actually have (and boys) and all the cosplay, exitement, comic-con and dragi-con and all that, no one is more excited about Sherri's books and characters than Sherri herself. And I think that that is the most admirable thing ever. Even after almost two decades, she is still so dedicated and excited about her work. For an author, that's pretty amazing. She kind of reminds me of me - without the money, the movie deals or the cult following, because I get so excited about what I'm writing that I will absorb myself into the story for days - just like Sherri! I wouldn't leave the house if not for having to do things, and I would definitely pray to whoever'd listen to live the author life that Sherri does. Sitting around listening to music, drinking tea, making my stories come to life? Um, yes!

I can't promise myself I'll be as famous or as well-loved or talented or downright awesome as Sherrilyn Kenyon is someday, but it won't be from lack of trying. It won't be because I'm not passionate, or because I don't care, or because I didn't give it my all. I may be envious now, but I am definitely going to do something about it.

But where to start?

NaNo saw me continuing the first book of Eleanor Price's Underland series, and her trip down the Rabbit Hole to begin her adventure, but heaven knows Daphne isn't ready to be quiet yet. And Allora will never be forgotten when her story is still yet to be written and shared with the world.

There's no real answer to that question except to say that it doesn't matter so much as long as I start somewhere. 

Comments

Popular Posts