Genie

I was thinking about the option of a Genie earlier after thinking I could wish myself skinny, and I think I've thought of the perfect solution.

Genies, or Djinn as they were originally known in Arabic, are supernatural creatures from Arabic/Islamic tradition more modernly infamous for granting wishes. What is really cool (besides granting wishes) is that they are made of a smokeless and scorching fire which is why when depicted they always look like they've risen up out of their lamp like steam.

There is archaeological evidence which indicates a very old tradition of Genie worship in Islamic culture but as with all supernatural beings there is no hard up proof that one exists (or still exists). Just like with Mermaids, ghosts, werewolves, witches and vampires I will always believe in the possibility - religion is man made, belief is very real. 

If you remember the three rules from Disney's Aladdin there are certain things you can't do with a Genie, especially the kind of Robin Williams Genie I was picturing. 

1. No more wishing for more wishes.

This is exactly why you can't just make two wishes then wish for more wishes (how many times can you say wish in a sentence?). If you make two wishes then use your third wish for more wishes so you can make endless wishes until you're wished out and can't wish anymore or wish for more energy (OK, enough), then it's just a circular mess. You can't milk a Genie for all eternity - that's not how it works.

2. You can't bring people back from the dead because it's not a pretty picture and he doesn't like doing it.

Ok, even I learnt from the tale of the Monkey's Paw and I know that resurrection is more like to to turn into Pet Semetary than Jesus. I'd want to see some people again, like my Nana, but I know there better off now than when they were alive because they suffered. I will note however that he said 'people', does that mean I can bring Rueben back..?

3. He can't make anyone fall in love with you. 

Meh. If I can be bothered sometime it would be more organic and satisfying if it wasn't the result of lamp magic or witchcraft.

Wish those rules in place I've thought of the perfect plan, the only downside being that one day we could run out of Genies. Let me explain:

If I had a Genie I would start by making one wish let's say it's to be fit, a healthy slim which I can keep consistent. I'd choose my words carefully - you can't be too cautious.

Next I would wish for a new Genie. I can't wish for more wishes but no one said anything about a whole new Genie. 

Lastly, with my third wish I would do the right thing and set the first Genie free just like Aladdin did. Then I can make a wish with the second Genie, wish for a third Genie, set the second Genie free, and rinse and repeat. I probably wouldn't have more than three or four Genies overall I think because I don't need that much - skinny, money... I can't even think what else now. Money of course encapsulates travel, buying properties (to set up my non-profit Dog farm), setting up my family financially and buying myself every single book on my Kindle wish-list. Money isn't the key to life and won't solve all my problems but it'll certainly make it a lot more fun! And I wouldn't stop working like a trophy wife because I would get bored too easily.

So there you have it; the perfect solution. 

Sam xox

Comments

Popular Posts