Archangels and Demons

I just finished a book about Angels and vampires and the like. It was alright, the third in the series so I knew what to expect, but still not my favourite. It's gotten me thinking about Angels again in a way, and back to the thought that Gabriel has and always will be my favourite of all the Archangels.

Before we go further, let's recap just who the Archangels are.

According to myth, the governing body of all the angels - warriors, guardians, seraphim and cherubim - are the Archangels. There are traditionally 7 of them, although it depends on what you read, and there are 7 demons that parody them in hell or the underworld or the Akashic plains whatever you want to call it.

The 7 Archangels are:

Gabriel.

Michael.

Raphael.

Uriel.

(Now this is where it gets disputed and myth overlaps depending where you are and who you're talking to, but we'll go with the earliest mention in the 5th or 6th century).

Chamuel.

Jophiel.

Zadkiel. 

Now the first four, first three in particular, are those that are the most famous and possibly the oldest. The last three since they've been so disputed and changed all over the place it might be safe to say have been positions given to different angels over time.

I mentioned that Gabriel was my most favourite of the Archangels, and it's still true. The left-hand of God, and messenger to humanity, Gabriel is probably the most commonly represented and celebrated of all the Archangels, save for Michael. I don't know exactly what it is about Gabriel that I'm drawn to - perhaps the romantic image built up in my head by popular culture - but Gabriel has stood to the side, always loyal, never faltering, and forever good. Even when Lucifer fell he never once strayed.

I call Gabriel 'he' here because I believe he is a man, well for not being human anyway, but the truth is no one really knows for sure. Michael is undisbutedly male, as is Raphael, but Gabriel is ambiguous in most of the angel mythology which is funny when I think of it. Regardless, to me Gabriel has always been male. And he has always been the one that I would wish to meet above all else.

Michael on the other hand, is probably the most strong, most masculine, most wrought with male beauty. He is the direct opponent of Lucifer after the fall, the one who fought his brother to protect humanity, and the leader of all warrior angels. He is almost as popular and represented as Gabriel, and is often turned to for strength and power. Loyal to the core, Michael is the very picture of overcoming all obstacles.

So, why is this on my mind today? Who really knows. Is there a point to me blogging about angels? Of course. They are beautiful, powerful, dangerous creatures who are so hidden behind mythology and truth that we don't even always know for sure if they truly are out there or not, and they are so celestial its almost intangible to humans. I wish I would meet an angel someday, because they are the unseen protection against one's self, mind and heart.

Comments

Popular Posts