10 reasons why I am bloody AWESOME.

Now, it is very important for you to not get the wrong impression of me from this post. Or, for that matter, the wrong idea about why I am writing it.

This is not meant to be some arrogant ego trip, or a comparison, or any kind of negative connotation you probably could apply to it. No, this is supposed to be for me to get some perspective on myself and remember the positive things about me, what is actually good about me, and what makes me awesome in my own mind. It is just meant to be an exercise in remembering the finer things in life that people seem to think I forget about when I'm sad or having a rough time.

People never know me as well as they always seem to think they do and I'm so often giving people the wrong idea.

So, without further ado here is 10 things that I like about me and think that I am bloody well awesome:

Sam xox

10. I am an archaeologist.

From the tender age of about ten my love of history and the past took on a new turn when I watched the Stephen Sommers film The Mummy for the first time. Now, Brendan Fraser hottness and awesomeness of Rachel Weiz aside, it was probably one of the first moments that I realised that archaeology, as a practical component of treasure-seeking, tomb-raiding and history (not that it's really like that in reality), was what I totally wanted to do when I grew up.

And so I did. Now I live life virtually two weeks at a time, never spending enough time in Dullsville to really worry about getting too bored, and keeping it really excavating and learning about one of the world's oldest and underrated surviving cultures. Plus I get good money for my age and I don't have to do 9-5 unless I really feel like it. Win.

9. I went to Uni and studied literature.

To all the people who whinge about how studying English at uni getting you no where in life: shove it right up where the sun doesn't shine. Learning and knowledge don't always have to be about where they advance you, there IS such a thing about reading and researching for the sake of it. Just remember folks, if you need to always have a purpose behind why you're reading a book or learning about something, then you're probably doing it wrong.

Studying literature at uni was just for fun, because I got to read some classics, learn some new things and gain different perspectives on life that I hadn't really thought of before. Not to mention I met a whole lot of cool people who are still my friends today. Studying literature was important to me and I definitely think that it improved me, and I would even suggest that there are a lot of people out there who would do well to follow suit. Obviously not everyone, but some.

Do things for fun - it's just life .

8. I have travelled the world.

Speaking of doing things for fun, pack a bag and go on an adventure. You don't have to go for ages, you don't even have to leave the city, but travelling will make a person as much as studying a language or studying a new art. Travel to new places, meet new people, see new things, try new ways of living. Trust me, adventure is pretty much something everyone should do.

It is a very brave thing to embark on something new. Change is hard, I know, and taking the first step can be hard, too, but doing things on my own is something I've never had too much trouble with. If you are always worried and in need of someone to hold your hand you can't fully embrace your limits. We all need a little help sometimes, and that's ok, but don't forget to be strong on your own too. Go have an adventure; go to London and Tokyo and New York and Macchu Pichu and Egypt and Morocco and Turkey and Kenya. Even go to the dangerous places (within reason). See the world! Trust me, you really won't regret it. I never did, even on the worst days.

7. I give to charities. 

I heard once that giving to charities was selfish - the argument made was that we do it to make ourselves feel good about giving. And while that is true that isn't the only reason. Every act made to make someone else happy doesn't automatically make us selfish because it makes us happy, too. What about giving a friend a present when they're feeling down? It may cheer them up but it'll also leave you feeling good too, and that doesn't make you selfish.

So, I give to charities - it's not much to me to give them something that, even in a small way, makes a difference. I don't give a lot, and not all the time, but enough that it helps. I'm not some Mother Teresa or Florence Nightingale kind of woman, and I do selfish shit all the time. I'm not perfect, hell no one is, but I do my bit some times. So I give to charity, it makes me feel good, and it contributes to good causes.

6. I love animals.

Animals are awesome; I love them all, especially dogs. If you love dogs then you're probably pretty alright in my books. Dogs will love you unconditionally which is something that I don't think gets enough credit these days.

And liking animals, and treating them really well, is usually an indicator of the way people will be in regards to each other. So you know if I'm good to my pets and other animals, and treat them like my babies, then I'm probably not a serial killer. Which is good, right?

5. I am a writer. 

But you already know this.

I'm lucky enough to be able to spin a couple of literary phrases and write some stories, pulled right out  of my head. I've thought up a bevy of interesting characters and situations and, while I'm obviously no Dickens or Austen, I think I'm pretty alright.

Plus if my books are published - how freaking awesome will that be? From writer to author!

4. I have great friends.

Most of them are insane, but so am I so it works. Plus they're always there for me when I need them.

No one is an Island, and although sometimes when I'm having a really rough time and think that all I have to depend on is me, that's not necessarily the case. So, I'm lucky to have a good group of friends who care about me.

Even when they're not always happy with me.

3. I have a crazy-ass family.

Somewhere between English, Australian and Indian, my family is a cacophony or melting pot of random. But like my friends even if they're mental, they're still my family and I love them.

I'm lucky to have them, when there are so many children around the world who don't have anyone.

2. I live life like it's a musical.

And so what? I have an overly romanticised, idealised view of the world and there is nothing wrong with that. I look on the bright side alot, and I think singing a little song will make things better like it does in everything Disney, but that's my personality. I think that it is an awesome facet of me that is so often underrated and passed off by people who are different.

Hey, musicals don't work for everyone but they work for me, and I think the fact that I dare to be different in the face of a cynical world and sometimes downright adversity is pretty awesome and pretty brave. I like to be this way, and anyone who has a problem with that, or me being this way, can tell it to my hand because the face just don't want to hear it. Or they can FCK right off, whatever their fancy.

It may not be the most socially acceptable thing, but loving Disney, looking on the brightside of life and bursting into song when I'm happy is a big part of being who I am, and it is NEVER ok for other people to try to tell me that I shouldn't be so.

1. I am me. 

And I think that I can be bloody damn well awesome. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts