Altercation in the hallway, you a-maze me!

Allora and Dominic are perhaps the longest running novel of mine in terms of how long it's taken me to write their story down. Not because I don't know exactly what happens, and in what order, and how it all ends (read: I do), but because they're story is so second nature to me I've so often forgotten that there's work to be done. 

So, waiting in limbo at the end of a work swing just the other day I decided to add a little to the Chronicles. This is a scene that for the most part was written years ago, but it is the altercation in the hallway that I wrote just recently and was important in tying together the earlier written scene in the maze with other important aspects of both characterisation and plot

I hope you enjoy it!

Sam xox


Allora had thought that her usual custom of ducking into the nearest secluded alcove when she noticed Dominic heading in her direction would succeed in drawing him off more often than not. She was a Princess, a representative of her kingdom and had had to rely on her good image for so long that giving in to Dominic was dangerous. So dangerous, in fact, that despite how much she secretly suspected that she wanted to she knew it was her responsibility to act, at all times, like the Princess that she was.
            Therefore when this afternoon, Allora saw out the corner of her eye, Dominic heading once again in her direction she didn’t have to think twice before slipping into a parallel hallway. The problem was Dominic was smarter than she gave him credit for being and had begun to anticipate her attempts to avoid him. He slipped into the hallway through another entrance that brought him to a standstill right in her path, less than a few paces away.
            Allora froze for a moment, before pivoting on her heel to flee in the opposite direction.
            “Allora, wait!”
            The hissed whisper worked almost as well as a physical restraint in stop her in her tracks. Later, Allora would not have been able to explain why.
            She turned back to face him, almost sheepish.
            “You’ve been avoiding me.”
            Not a question.
            “I have.”
            “Why?”
            “You know why.”
            Dominic ran a hand through his hair, tousling the dark curls of his out of his eyes. “You cannot avoid me or this between us forever. Pretending with me will not force me away. Not when there is so much here.”
            “What do you think is here?” Allora asked, driven by demons.
            “Let us explore this attraction between us; I think that maybe we are meant for one another – already I yearn for you to be near me, I fear for your safety and not only as my Princess. It is you that I need, that I have been waiting for.” Dominic put a hand to his heart and gazed at her, pleadingly. “I swear, on my honour, on my life and on my soul, that I mean you no harm, and I will let you go if you find that I am wrong.”
            Allora sucked in a breath, forcing her limbs to remain by her sides and not to reach out to him, take the hand he was now offering her. She shook her head and forced her resolve but she was so much weaker than she should have been, and had been, before.
“You know who I am; what you are suggesting is improper and inconceivable. I am the Princess of Messinia, I am meant to be above affairs and matters of the heart. I am not like every girl – any girl – who has that freedom. You are asking far too much of me.”
            Allora took a step back, Dominic made to follow. “No! Give me a chance, please.” He reached out to touch her, and she was almost going to let him, when footsteps sounded around the corner heading in their direction.
            “Dominic Wellsby, is that you I hear there?”
            Allora pulled away this time as if burnt, and took off on slippered feet in the opposite direction before Dominic could regroup, lost to confront the fellow courtier who had unknowingly interrupted.    

Dominic caught up with her again further into the maze of the palace gardens, despite her attempts to lose him.
“Stop running from me, Allora!” The words were quiet, so as to not draw attention during the autumn afternoon, but firm. Insistent. Almost pleading.
“Then stop following me.” She turned to gaze at him, eyes searching. “Please.”
Dominic paused to run a hand through his tousled dark hair. “Don’t you see? Don’t you understand?” Allora gasped as he closed the distance between them and took hold of her elbows, drawing her further to him. “You’re a part of me now; I can’t think but of you, I dream of you, I can’t bare you anywhere but near me. I need you – I can’t explain it but I do. I know you feel this too.”
Allora pulled back, trying to breathe; she couldn’t think. She took one step, then another, backing away from him. He followed, stalking her like a predator, eyes blazing with need. “Please, Dominic, you know that we can’t do this.”
“Do I? Because I don’t see you calling for guards, I don’t see disgust or disinterest in your eyes. I see the same dark desire and need that I feel.”
She tried to take another step and found that her back met the cold marbled edge of one of the garden’s impressive staircases. Yet he followed once more, his body now pressed to hers.  
“If you can tell me now, truthfully, looking into my eyes, that you wish me to leave you and never return – then I will go, I will never pursue you. I’m no monster, Allora. I won’t force myself on you, and I won’t continue where I’m so unwanted.” His eyes met hers with confidence. “But I can see you, straight into your eyes and your heart. I can see your soul, and I know that it cries for mine, like mine cries for you.”
She made to protest, but he pressed a finger to her lips to silence her.
“Allora: princess of Messinia is not all you are. You are a woman, flesh and blood, and you breathe.” He pressed a hand to her heart, which thumped an ecstatic taboo. “Your heart beats.” He bent low to brush a kiss to one cheek, then the next, then moved to look into her eyes again. “Now tell me, Princess, Allora, Ally, do you want me to leave you?”
She couldn’t even form the words; her mouth opened to protest, lips moved, but no sound escaped. Allora shook her head to clear it, but when their eyes locked she lost all motivation for denial.
Then her hands were in his hair, clasping him to her, lips pressed to his with all the passion she had restrained these past weeks. Her blood rising only for him.
Suddenly she felt like she’d woken from a dream, or was in the most beautiful of dreams, and she never wanted to return to the way she was.
They remained that way for some time; tongues tangling, breath mingled, hands grasping. Neither was fulfilled, neither could get close enough. Dominic pressed kisses down her neck, sliding the hem of her gown to the side for more access.
They were on fire, desire between them steadily growing too hot to bear, when Dominic pulled back suddenly and drew in a deep breath to recall oxygen back to his brain.
Allora looked at him in confusion; her arms still snaked into his hair. She went to brush the stray lock of obsidian hair out of his eyes but he caught her hand and pressed the finger of his other hand to his lips.
That’s when she heard a familiar voice call her name in exasperation:
“Allora? Princess Allora?” The woman was anxious, and Allora could almost see her pacing in irritation. “Good lord, where has that impulsive girl gone to now? Allora!”
Maddy’s voice came from above, most likely at the top of the staircase Allora and Dominic were perched under.
“It’s Maddy,” Allora whispered to him. “I-I have to go.”
For once Dominic did not protest, instead he released her and took a step backwards. They both took a moment to collect themselves.
When Dominic had straightened his clothes and run a hand through his hair once more to settle it, fruitlessly as it would never be contained, he moved to twist back a lock of Allora’s hair that had come loose from the elaborate coiffure her maids had arranged atop her head. As Maddy’s furious footsteps faded away and the woman hurried off to look for Allora somewhere else their eyes met again.
“Say you’ll visit me, Ally. Tonight.”
“Dominic, you know I can’t.”
He put a hand to her cheek and leant his forehead to hers. “Say you will, you know how much I need you to. I know you need me too.” He pressed a hot, passionate kiss to her lips that ended too soon. “The woodcutter’s cottage after sunset, I’ll be waiting for you, Ally.”

Then he released her and was gone, striding away from her towards the stables. 

Comments

Popular Posts