Confidentiality, Ticketing and Awkward People Watching.

These are definitely three themes that would go a while in describing the way this week has been.

Now, I'm what you'd probably call 'open' or an 'extrovert'.  Basically I pin my heart to my sleeves too often, am too open and honest about how I feel and would do pretty well to keep my mouth shut a lot more often than I do. Easy enough, right? Well, no. Not really. I basically spent a lot of energy fighting that facet of me because keeping my head down is usually a much more acceptable approach to life and society. It's pretty much a constant juggle between being myself and being what the world expects of me.

Super exhausting!

Ironically though I think I'm pretty great to confide in; I will take other people's secrets and issues to the grave, it's just mine that get spewed out when I'm drunk or too comfortable with someone that I want to confide in them. I try not to drink too much if there's something I really want to tell.

Don't ask - I'm not going to tell you! I do have some secrets - I'm not a moron. There are definitely things about me that no one knows.

It's not all that bad as it seems though, it's only really at the worst when there's something I really need to keep to myself (like a crush - gossip spreads faster than a cane fire in the dry season) or if I'm in the midst of making a new friend. And I like making a new friend, I like to make all the friends. I'm pretty friendly.

So that is the first theme of the week; Future Sam just needs to zip it more often, especially when it's stuff that's going to get me into trouble. Not anyone else, remember, just me. I'm a ninja at self-sabotage. Alas, I'll get there. I just have to lock all my secrets into a big box with an unbreakable lock. Maybe not like the one they gave Pandora though, that didn't work out so well.

Another thing I am good at, like keeping other people's secrets, is buying tickets. If you tell me an event you want to go to (usually with me, that's sort of the point) I will not only totally get the tickets, but you can be assured that they'll also probably be good seats - within price range, of course. I'm good like that, and when A, C and I went to America a couple of years ago they basically just left everything to me and it was a pretty smooth trip; I booked all the tickets from flights to Broadway and everything was dandy.

Now, this doesn't happen always or with everyone but when I don't get the tickets, it doesn't get done. I've spent too many years and watched too many shows go by that I know not to rely on certain people to get the tickets. I've missed too many Shakespeare plays because my mother was supposed to get the tickets....and didn't. By now I'm just pedantic enough that if we are going to see a show, I'm just going to get the tickets. Don't take it personally, but we all have our OCD things.

OCD is varying, comes in all different ranges, to different degrees and is triggered by all kinds of people. It's not crazy, it's not socially awkward (always), and it's nothing to make fun of. But it does certainly make for some great stories and some interesting viewing material.

I was driving home today and I've gotta tell you, people watching can be such fun. I saw Ace Ventura at the bus stop and some other guy with serious swagger crossing the street. I admit I had a little giggle, but it made me smile and making someone smile is usually a good thing. Besides, they looked happy too; chances are whatever made them look so confident and relaxed and led me to a later smile can't be all that wrong.

As long as they're not secretly Dexter and musing over their latest project. That would be a little more than awkward.

Sam xox

Comments

Popular Posts