Zombies at the Prom

Once upon a time when I was about 14 years old I went to the school musical.

It was the craziest, camp-est, most ridiculous and over-the-top melting pot of 1950's bonkers that I'd ever seen and I loved it from the get go. It was called Zombie Prom.


Basically the musical revolves around the none-too-ordinary happenings within a high school in 1950's America. It features the good girl-bad boy relationship of Toffee and Jonny (without an 'H') and the resistance to their love that they face from their peers.

Oh, and Jonny's a Zombie. He threw himself into a vat at the local nuclear power plant after Toffee tried to dump him and came back as a radioactive Frankenstein.

So that happens.

At 14 I didn't care all too much about the logistics of dating the undead, and was instead swirled up by the catchy songs, romance and fabulous fifties hilarity that paid beautiful homage to Grease and bad horror films. Plus it was the first time I ever met the lead actor/singer guy who played Jonny. A crush of mine from the get go. Funnily enough one that was never actually met with awkwardness or ended in tears. For me. We're even still on good terms today and occasionally reminisce the days he played a green, glowing bad boy along-side his then girlfriend in the school production.

Zombie Prom was a lot of fun then, and something made me think of it today. So I googled, bypassing all the ugly drama surrounding the election (let's just not talk about that one, huh?). I actually found out a bunch of different things about the musical that I didn't know before such as that it was originally an off-Broadway production from 1993, and that it was turned into a short film in 2006. Of course when I realised that I made a beeline for YouTube and found the film in about 3 seconds. It features RuPaul and some hottie playing Jonny and can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dECttRgbWW0

If you're interested in a fun 30-minute roll with some catchy tunes and a happy ending I totally recommend it because it's worth watching. If not then I promise not to be offended.

Plus Jonny's still as sexy when I'm 23 as he was when I was younger, even though he's also a different person. And I mean at the beginning before he turns into the walking dead.

Note to women of the world: Zombie men probably make bad boyfriends.

Sam xox

Comments

Popular Posts