The Truth About Love

Interesting title, right? Did I grip you?

Unfortunately, I don't know any universal truth about love to share with you tonight. I can tell you what I know and what I think I know, but after 23 years of singledom I'm sure there's something out there that I've probably missed.

Rather I just read another book I want to talk about, by one of my favourite fluffy authors: Ms Stephanie Laurens. And she's from none other than our Red-Dust-Golden-Sun country!




The Truth About Love is book 12 or so in the delicious Cynster series based around a powerful English family following the end of the Napoleonic Wars; more specifically about the strong-willed, unkillable, damnably arrogant and saucy brotherhood of men within the family. Although some are about their oppressed little sisters. The original six revolve around the Bar Cynster, the name given to the six oldest males within the powerful clan exasperatingly entitled Devil, Vane, Scandal, Demon, Gabriel and Lucifer by their female relatives. Those are not their real names, of course, and each novel is designed to be read either sequentially or on its own. Although as time goes on historically and the characters grow the series becomes more about the entire family and extends to those who have married into the clan.

Take Gerrard Debbington, for example.

The 29 year old hero of this tale is the younger brother of Patience, wife of Vane from book 2, and frequent cameo in succeeding books as the young protege of the Bar Cynster. His story is rather sweet tale of how the power of imagery and perception (and love) can set you free; Gerrard's foray into Dorset under the premise of painting a portrait of the murder-accused Jacqueline Tregonning results in the unravelling of a two-year old mystery and the shock discovery of his soul mate.

I won't bore you and go into too much fluffy (or saucy) detail on this one, but rest assured that if you're looking for a light-hearted romance filled with ballrooms and tea and pretty dresses that you know is probably going to end happily then maybe give SL a try.

Trust me, her men are definitely the kind that you hate to love and wish you had. Men, a little jealousy and possession can be sexy - it shows you care! But a lot will get you smacked, and probably a night on the couch. Or sulking on your own on the sidelines of the dance floor.

Clearly, I was feeling a little romantic this week before I hop onto something a little more serious.

Next time on Sam's reading list: Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Mummy and Pet Semetary...

Sam xox

Comments

Popular Posts