Enslaved by the Muses

I'm feeling a little under pressure and shackled these days. It's probably why I haven't really written to you this week - I've not had the time!

The new book is coming along like a steam train and on top of that work (I'm still an archaeologist) has been a bit mental, I've pretty much come home at six every night, written until late with Kingdom Hearts playing in the background and then face planted in bed before doing the same thing over the next day. I'm running myself into the ground a little and I feel like I'm racing against time in every aspect. 

But, guess what?

I'm so happy. 

Throwing myself into my work - both archaeologically and literately - always seems to go along way with me. I feel like so much is getting done, even if I still have another hundred million to do after that. I'm so exhausted but I don't want to stop! I'm completely at the mercy of my muses and my inspiration, in love with my captor, and my characters. It's very much like Stockholm Syndrome even when I'm mostly alone. Like a pleasure/pain

Billie Joe says it kind of nicely: 


I'm in distress, 
oh mistress I confess 
so do it one more time
These handcuffs are too tight, well
You know I will obey, 
so please Don't make me beg
For blood, sex and booze you give me


The blood, sex and booze is all happening within the book, though. I'm not literally begging anyone S&M style...well, not exactly. 

My only problem seems to be that social stuff seems to take a bit of a back seat when I'm in this kind of mindset. Rest assured, this is not the first time I've subjugated myself to the gods of writing (and it will not be the last!) but when this happens I usually become so scatterbrained to the real world that I tend to forget about social events or plans or things like eating and sleeping...So, if I flake out on a date we've set or I forget and don't turn up - try not to take it personally. I apologise in advance for that but it's just the nature of the game. Ironic considering my level of social need, friendliness and extrovertedness, I know. 


On a more inspired note I've been putting together a little playlist for my new book; so far they're just based on Eleanor's depression, the budding relationship between Eleanor and Rory (ooh, I haven't told you about him yet!), and the adventure. It's a work in progress, but here's what I've got so far:

Roxas Theme - Kingdom Hearts
Dreams Don't Turn to Dust - Owl City
Christmas Song - Owl City
Dear in the Headlights -Owl City
The Price of Freedom - Crisis Core
Help! - The Beatles
The Long and Winding Road - The Beatles
Unwritten - Natasha Bedingfield
The Dirt Whispered - Rise Against
Tea Party - Kerli
Real World - Matchbox 20
Unwell - Matchbox 20
Easy Way Out - Gotye
At the Beginning - Donna Lewis & Richard Marx
Sanctuary - Utdada Hikaru

That's all I have so far - But there are more, I just can't think of them right now. 



Sam xox

Comments

Popular Posts