The end of another era

It’s definitely been a minute since I feel like I was here last. There have been overlapping eras of other kinds since I last finished at a job, sure, but it’s almost been a solid four years since I ejected out of the travel industry and back into my chosen profession of heritage.

I feel good about it - elated in a different way to how I was back then and absolutely hoping for the sea change that I need to get out of this mood I’ve been in since before Christmas. I have also officially run out of steam with my current job, my boss and all that comes with it - nothing personal but definitely not the most peaceful, financially stable or fulfilling place. I’m somewhat sad to leave but significantly more excited about the new potential and new experiences more than anything. 

Given the ~extenuating circumstances~ I’ll be starting remotely which is not my favourite because I definitely need more social interaction, especially these days, but the very real threat is still there and it is what it is for me. 

I’m getting a computer though which is kind of exciting - I have never had s work computer before. Or a work phone or anything like that. I’ve been working on my iPad for almost a year now since my last computer (which was admittedly about 7 years old) dropped dead before the last lockdown started. I do have another computer (this one 10 years old with a keyboard fallen to an incident with wine) but considering the state of that it’s mostly reserved for this days I really, really want to play the Sims. One of these days that computer will join the tech afterlife, too.

A work computer is exciting - it might end up being the one my friend was using, too, before she started maternity leave today! 

Look, I know a lot of you out there are used to getting tech from work or school but this is a first time for me. I’ve been living on close to minimum wage for the past four years and I had to buy all my stuff myself previously. Let me enjoy this. 

I’ve virtually tied up at my current work now, too, with two technical days still to go but I’ve realised now that aside from maybe one thing I can finish in time my last week has been better spent handing over, making notes and filing. They’ll have to deal without me next week so if I can leave enough direction for them they’ll be in a better position. There will always be another thing to finish off, too. 

It doesn’t feel that real, it just feels like I’ve had a slack week, and it’s not going to get any more hectic from here on out. 

Does this mean I’ll have to dress up for MS Teams now that I’m meeting new people? I mean, surely my activewear isn’t the most ideal in this context? We’ll see because honestly I’m kind of sick of my activewear right now since I wore it for about 6 months straight and I’m trying to relax a little bit with my exercise these days. Apparently I don’t actually need to work out for multiple hours a day, even if it’s just inside jogging. Who knew. 

It’s the end of an era even if my new job isn’t a whole new industry this time, it’s a whole new company with a whole new (bigger) team and that’s exciting. Plus, like I said, the change is so welcome right now to get me out of this headspace. More responsibility, too, which is a bit scary but then I have to accept sometimes that I am actually an adult (yikes) even if I don’t feel like one most of the time. 

There may be more opportunity to get down and dirty again in the field, too! It’s been way too long since I was on excavation or out in the field properly and I’ve really missed it - the lack of real adventure the past couple of years is killing me. 

Interstate travel, too, so long as all the borders aren’t playing ‘Open Shut Them’ again into 2022 and beyond. I miss travelling for work - even if I need to provide for my fluffy son when I go away now. 

I hope I don’t regret saying so, but I feel good about this and I feel like this is going to be good for me. 

Sam xox

P.S. The past couple of weeks have been up and down and dramatic for a few reasons. Writing and blogging and talking helps me to cope and deal and get through - try not to hold it against me. I am who I am and I am open about how I feel so the pressure of holding it in doesn’t crush me more. I’m not good at keeping things to myself when I’m emotional, in whichever way, and I’m transparent when I am. If you’re reading this and have been reading over the past few weeks don’t write me off or think less of me for being honest - I’m sorry if you thought I was someone else but there are many sides to me. Not all of them make people comfortable and I absolutely do not subscribe to the ‘keep calm and carry on’ mantra of generations past. 

I am, after all, a Gemini. 

Comments

Popular Posts