Welcome to 2022

Well, we’re here again. What a time 2021 was. I’ve had a few wines, didn’t sleep much, so let’s do this. 

I’m not going to apologise for my absence again (we’re past that) or for the fact that it is already the 2nd of January when I couldn’t drag myself out of bed until close to 2pm. 

Ooh she mentioned feeling anything but ok publicly, better run from me now. It’s not been the greatest start to 2022, I’ll give you that, but then my 2021 wasn’t the worst ever so I guess that’s sort of fair. 

Let’s recap.

1. I got stuck in the crossfires of an outbreak and couldn’t return home to Sydney from Perth for weeks. 

Not the worst thing because I was with family, but it did make starting back at work difficult and it was stressful as hell booking flight after flight to have it cancelled the next day. Fortunately as well I had a trusted friend looking after my fluffy son, D’Artagnan, or that would have been even more upsetting. In the end I spend a little longer in Perth than I’d bargained for and it wasn’t all bad. I binged some Netflix with mum, spend some quality time by the pool and got to annoy my brother and stepdad for a bit longer. 

2. I went on some dates. 

I feel like this is in here most years, but it still stands. Most of them were bad honestly (dating isn’t the most fun thing in the world) but they all teach you a lesson. 

Like how to quickly exit stage left. 

[Exeunt pursued by a bear]

3. My cousin got married in Brisbane.

This one is sort of a twofer - my cousin got married in Brisbane and I got to spend a nice long weekend with my brother (who I always miss terribly). I hotel shared with my brother which was so nice, we did some fun activities together like hike down to the Gold Coast for the day, and go for a drink stroll through the CBD at 3am. Plus the wedding was so fun, too. Set aside the fact that I spent an hour crying in the toilet (and maybe made a deal with the devil or a demon) before getting on the champers with some of my favourite people in the world - great night. My flight home got cancelled again due to a Brisbane outbreak mid wedding but I sorted it. No big deal. 

I also didn’t fight with certain people - win for me. I will always consider myself the cool, single oldest cousin and irrespective of any crying I will always maintain that I am just that in my mind. I’m living my best life.

4. Easter was spent as a last hurrah with a close friend.

The lead up to Easter was in isolation because of the above Brisbane outbreak, but the holiday itself was actually pretty fun. My friend and I did Easter bunnies, matching Easter pyjamas, went to the Sydney Royal Easter Show, and did some fun activities together in between. It was a really nice time.

5. My friend moved away.

Very soon after Easter, the friend of mine that I had spent Easter with (my housemate) moved home to be with her own family and partner in New Zealand. I was crushed but I understood. For all that I didn’t want her to leave me I knew that it was what was best for her.

The day she left I went to tarot at the Rocks for some guidance and then home to clean my house from top to bottom. It wasn’t that the place was dirty, but doing it helped me immensely psychologically. My friend did also leave her cat with me for a few extra months so it was an interesting transition for me.

6. I had a great birthday. 

I decided after my friend moved away that I wasn’t going to let my birthday go under the radar this year. 2020, in the height of the original restrictions and lockdowns, my 30th birthday was so low key it was virtually swept under the rug. My friends made it special for me, but as a dramatic Gemini I had to do one better the next year. I planned so many events for myself both with other people and on my own I was so busy but it really worked for me. I ended up with a birthday long weekend full of fun that I will treasure for years to come. I spent the night of my birthday itself on the Sydney harbour at a Gatsby party that they upgraded to VIP because I was both solo and it was my birthday. I had a really great time. 

Never, ever say that I let the fear of being alone stop me from having a good time because that is categorically untrue. 

7. I had a (short-lived) relationship.

Those of you who saw my last post months ago may have been familiar, but from about the end of April through to October I was in a relationship (technically). In spirit I’d say it ended in July/August. 

It started off ok but highly suspicious to the point when I was convinced that whatever was listening to me cry in the toilet at my cousins wedding in Brisbane was not on my side. No Angel sent that man to me, let’s just say. 

I won’t go into it really but it ended with a fizzle and faded into obscurity by Halloween and left me somewhat confused but mostly relieved. It paved the way for better things to come.

8. We were in lockdown.

For goddamn ages, July through to October. 

At first I was afraid, I was petrified. But then I used it to my advantage. 

I spent every day either working from home, working out, working on my diet, and with my dog. Through my dog I found my greatest salvation for the year in the dog park and all the amazing people I met there. They really saved me.

The lockdown seemed to last forever and when it was over it felt like a fever dream of living life in activewear, YouTube video playlists and time spent at the dog park. It was hard but for me, personally, it was a learning experience. A big shout out from me to all the people who did it tougher than I did. 

9. I got a new job.

I know right, something very positive to come out of the year. I didn’t even seek it out - it found me, pumped up my ego and presented me with an amazing opportunity I couldn’t resist. I’ll start this month after resigning in early December but I am excited. Possibly the only thing I’m actively excited for right now, but it’s early days. 

I won’t go into too many specifics but essentially it’s a higher role, more in my field and with a great company I’m looking forward to being a part of. Plus, I get to work with a good friend of mine again. In 2023 when she’s back from maternity leave. 

10. I fell too hard, too fast for someone I hardly know.

I mean that says it all doesn’t it. Not much else to say except of course that’s what happened as it’s me and of course I’m upset. At least I’ll have the memories of time spent with an amazing person, who I absolutely have nothing bad to say about, and I wish only the best. They just couldn’t with me. It’s not my first rodeo, I’ve been crushed before and I’ll repair in time. 

This might just be that broken heart I need to shed that last 10-15kg I want to shed - so there’s that! 

Ive felt worse, I’ve felt better. 2021 was a trip and I don’t even know how much of it I would change if I could (I mean lockdown even for me was an experience). I probably wouldn’t have let that short term ex ghost me, I’d have just cut him loose long beforehand when I knew I wasn’t into it. But it is what it is and at least I don’t have to deal with him anymore. 

There was plenty more throughout 2021 that off the top of my head in the middle of the CBD I can’t quite recall at this minute. It went so fast the specifics individually don’t necessarily matter so much as the person it’s made me - and I like me. I’m not the best person in the world, but I’m happy with me. I’ll always try to be better though - so, anyway.

In the end I don’t have any resolutions for 2022, except maybe lose more weight, love myself more and don’t fall in love. I get better every year at knowing who I am, what I stand for and what I don’t, but fuck if I don’t care what’s coming next because I can take it at this stage. 

Happy New Year.

Sam xox

Comments

Popular Posts